Collation Software Change Log
Here we answer the burning question “Have there been any interesting changes lately?”
To check the version number of your copy of the collation software, open up collate.pl in a text editor and look for a line near the top of the file such as the following for version 1.27.
# $Id: collate.pl,v 1.27 2009/04/14 05:55:46 kirk Exp kirk $
Version 1.28, April 2015
- Fix a problem in Unicode mode where the script refused to recognize the contents of any input file. Noticed first in OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) with the introduction of Perl 5.18.
Version 1.27, April 2009
- Unicode mode auto-converts ISO-8859-1 encoded text to UTF-8 so we can use the script for Western European languages such as French.
- ASCII mode coerces any Unicode letters with macron or diaersis accents into ASCII letters
- Always remove null bytes and any byte-order mark
- Remove Mac Classic support
Version 1.23, April 2007
- Allow three digit exercise numbers
- In ASCII mode vowels with acute accents are treated as vowels with macrons and converted to uppper case vowels
Version 1.22, January 2007
- Fix bug where "unicode" command was not being read.
- Properly handle two or three =0A or =3D characters.
- Add "longlines" command to turn off line wrapping at 70 characters.
Version 1.21, December 2005
- Add "unicode" command to names.txt file. Previously you had to set $unicode = 1 in the source.
Version 1.20, November 2005
- Support for a Macintosh drag-and-drop application.
Version 1.19, August 2005
- Better handling of Unicode vowel+macron in translation mode.
Version 1.18, February 2005
- Properly handle question mark, overbar, and byte order marker.
- Directive 'wheelock' forces script to never go into translate mode.
- Add 'GM' to default list of sections.
Version 1.17, June 2003
- Quoted-printable uses only capital letters. Back out previous fix.
Version 1.16, June 2003
- Suppress bogus =FE errors generated by MSN URLs.
- Ignore files with a .pl extension.
Version 1.15, March 2003
- Unicode: check for base64 encoding and expand if necessary.
- Better logic for removing a single level of forward comment.
- Handle Unicode em-dash and byte order marker.
Version 1.14, December 2002
- Support for ae digraph.
Version 1.13, October 2002
- Scrub out some more unicode when not running in Unicode mode.
Version 1.12, September 2002
- Remove more HTML cruft as well as any UTF-8 encoded BOM
Version 1.11, September 2002
- Get rid of trailing spaces showing up in base64 submissions.
- Normalize EOL convention for base64 and quoted-printable text.
Version 1.10, September 2002
- Handle base64 encoded messages when in Unicode mode.
Version 1.9, September 2002
- Fix some unicode problems.
- Schwartzian transform sorting of sections and initials.
- Replace null Wheelock exercises with  indicator.
Version 1.8, August 2002
- Let truly crazy people use unicode in their names.txt file.
Version 1.7, August 2002
- Convert quoted-printable tabs, linefeeds, and carriage returns.
- Allow section names up to five characters, including numbers.
- Trim leading white space from command arguments.
Version 1.6, August 2002
- Support unicode via UTF-8 and quoted-printable
Version 1.5, August 2002
- Cope with =F6 (o w/ diaeresis).
Version 1.4, July 2002
- open and close single quotes
Version 1.3, June 2002
- Handle "Phaeton" where the "e" has a diaeresis.
Version 1.2, May 2002
- Improved unicode/iso-8859 translation.
- Fix bug in trimming off RFC826 header
Version 1.1, April 2002
- Start keeping a change log.
- Script was written in January 1998